Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It's a beautiful day!!!!

To start off with Ken had his heart cath last Wednesday.  We had sent the kids off to school with kisses and suitcases.  The doctor came in before the test and once again prepared us that he knew Ken had blockage and probably would be taken straight to the hospital.  I waited for about 35 minutes and the doctor came in and sat down beside me.  He said Ken's heart was weak and he wasn't quite sure why, but he had no blockage!  I just sat there with no reaction.  He started rubbing my back and asked if I was OK?  I told him you had me so prepared for bad news I don't know how to react to good news!  They found out during the pretests that his thyroid is way out of whack so they will begin treating that this Thursday in addition to some diabetic med tweaks.  We go back to the heart doctor in a month and he may start on some meds to help strengthen his heart but that will be all.

He had to stay down a couple of days from the heart cath and on the second day the bandage had to be removed.  In the morning he said rip it off then decided to wait till later.  The tube is run to the heart from an incision in the artery in the groin so he was not looking forward to the removal.  When he was finally ready later in the day I bent down to rip it off and did a great quick job.  He yelled and I looked up and blood was everywhere.  It seems the shock had caused him to punch himself in the nose and get a bloody nose.  Good thing men don't need bikini waxes!  He inserted some rolled up toilet paper in his nose and sat down for me to take his blood pressure.  He had a sweatshirt on and when I went to push it up his arm my hands slipped and I punched him in the side of the face!  What a day!  Then to top it off I gave him a medicine I was to hold because of the heart cath.  Had to call the doctor and say "I think I just killed my husband."  He assured me one dose wouldn't hurt him.    


Yesterday he had body scans which he hasn't had since before the kidney removal to see if the chemo and surgery had helped the lungs.  This morning we had an appointment at 8:50.  They took us straight in and by 9:40 we were going crazy waiting for the doctor.  We kept hearing him walk around and heard him on the phone saying "sorry to bother you."  Ken finally broke me down and I boarded the worry train, sweaty palms and all.  Dr Code finally came in and said immediately "everything looks good."  He apologized for the delay but there was some kind of mix up and he had to track down the radiologist himself on the phone for the scan results.  He said he was worried Ken would have run by then!  He went  on to explain that the tumors in his lungs had shrunk 50 percent and there were no new growths!!!  He said he would have been happy with just no growth so this was wonderful news.  So for now we stay on the same chemo treatment and get a little time to breath.  Ken is ecstatic to say the least.  He told the doctor he would go home and clean the house and the doctor told him not to go crazy on him.

Thanks for all the support and prayers!

Love,
Christina