Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ups and Downs

Well we managed a small trip to Sam's on Tuesday.  I think we've figured out the drastic change in temperature sets him off.  He became nauseous on the way but by the time we arrived felt a little better.  He decided to come in with me and I convinced him to use the motorized wheelchair.  It was the most fun he'd
had in a long time.  I shopped and he buzzed up and down the isles without me and with a big smile on his face!  Wednesday and Thursday nights he again woke up sick. 

Thursday I spent 3 hours on the computer and an hour on the phone the previous day applying for disability.  They called me at 8:15 Friday morning with more questions and asked me to bring a signed medical release to their office that day.  The worker was extremely nice and said she was trying to get a fast response for us and if so we could expect our first check in January, SERIOUSLY!!!  Our system is wonderful.  Ken decided to ride to the Social Security office with me.  I left him in the parked running car while I ran in.  I came out and the car was gone.  I looked around and saw the car parked somewhere else and didn't see him sitting in the passenger seat.  I ran over panicked and he was sitting in the driver's seat.  He had thrown up out his door and moved the car so nobody would see him.  Never a dull moment!  I managed to sneak away a couple of hours for the first time and visit at the pool with a couple of friends. We sat in the shade and talked.  It was soooo nice.

Friday afternoon I decided to take a new approach.  Broke out the Better Crocker cancer cookbook.  It has a section on chemo side affects.  I made some nausea fighting banana bread, fed him grilled cheese and sugar free Popsicles for dinner.  He slept the first night all night long without getting sick and waking up!  I felt like a new mom checking on him like he was sleeping through the night for the first time.  Hopefully, Saturday night will be a repeat!

Today is Saturday.  Ken and Patty are sitting on the couch dancing, Jordan is with Sydney, Jared is getting ready for work and Sydney and Kenny are swimming with their friends and my angel moms.  I'm getting some cleaning and laundry done.  Just another mundane day at the Rose house.

Ca Va Bien,
Christina